Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update, Vaccine Information and Helpful Resources Find out more

Section 2 – Admission for Assessment

Why am I on Section 2?

A team of health professionals assessed your mental health and decided that the best way to provide the care and treatment you need is to admit you to hospital under Section 2 for assessment.

The team of professionals would be an Approved Mental Health Professional known as an AMHP and two doctor’s one who is Section 12 approved, and one who is a registered practitioner usually a doctor who knows you, such as your GP.

How long does it last and what happens next?

You can be kept in hospital for up to 28 days.

The mental health professional in charge of your care and treatment under the MHA is known as the Responsible Clinician or RC and he/she can discharge you from section at any time if you no longer require to be sectioned.

Your responsible clinician may decide that you need to be in hospital for longer than 28 days, in which case you may be kept in hospital under a Section 3.

Can I be medicated against my will?

Yes. Medication can be given to you with or without your consent. However, your consent will always be sought. Your responsible clinician and other hospital staff will talk to you about any treatment that you need for your mental health problem.

Can I get leave?

Your responsible clinician can decide to give you leave (also known as Section 17 leave).

How can I appeal?

You can ask the Mental Health Tribunal to say that you should no longer be kept in hospital. You must do this within 14 days of the start of the section.

You can also ask the Hospital Managers to discharge you from detention. You can do this at any time. Hospital Managers are an independent group of people, who are separate from the hospital. Their job is to ensure that the Mental Health Act is being correctly applied and that service users’ rights under the Act are being upheld.

For help with an appeal speak to a member of the hospital staff or to an advocate.

What are my rights?

You have certain rights when you are in hospital. These include the right to:

  • Information about your section and the reasons for detention
  • Information about consent to treatment
  • Information about your rights of appeal to the Mental Health Tribunal
  • Information about how to contact a suitably qualified solicitor
  • Information about your right to appeal to the Hospital Managers
  • Information on how to obtain the help and support of an Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA)
  • Correspondence and visitors
  • Information on how to make a complaint
  • Information about safeguarding
  • Information about the Care Quality Commission

The Mental Health Act 1983 Code of Practice

The MHA Code of Practice should be followed by professionals who are involved in your care and treatment. The Code of Practice provides guidance to health professionals about the MHA and is also intended to be helpful to you, your family, carers, representatives, friends, advocates and anyone else who supports you. A copy of the code should be available on the ward for you to see.