In line with the Transforming Care Programme, the new 9 bed service will support the provision of inpatient care closer to home for individuals from the South-West. The aim of the service will be to successfully reintegrate service users into the community and ultimately transition out of hospital into independent living or the least restrictive environment possible.
Building on the expertise of the other learning disability services within the Cygnet Health Care portfolio, the service will be supported by our MyPath learning disability care model, offering a multi-disciplinary led approach.
By developing capacity in the south west in order to meet regional need, the new service at Cygnet Hospital Taunton will enable individuals from the south-west to receive care closer to home, and will link closely with community teams and services across the region.
Service User Profile
- Male, aged 18+
- Primary diagnosis of learning disability and mental health complex needs
- May have a forensic history
- May present with co-morbid presentations such as:
- Challenging behaviour
- Personality disorder
- Schizophrenia, depression, bi-polar disorder
- Dual diagnosis
- Complex needs and/or multiple diagnoses
- May be detained under the Mental Health Act or informal
- May have a history of repeated hospital admissions