The service is geographically close to three other Cygnet services – Cygnet Hospital Wyke, Cygnet Hospital Bierley, and Cygnet Hospital Bury. This closeness helps us work collaboratively to provide a care pathway for men who are ready to step down from these hospitals.
Cygnet Lodge Brighouse is AIMS accredited with the Royal College of Psychiatrists. The AIMS (Accreditation of Inpatient Mental Health Services) Rehabilitation project is a national scheme developed to ensure best practice is being achieved in in-patient mental health services. Cygnet Lodge Brighouse was one of 16 sites to be included during the pilot stage, only two of which were in the independent sector.
Cygnet Lodge Brighouse can support up to 24 men in a relaxed, calm and friendly environment. The focus is on helping people increase their independence wherever possible by accessing the community meaningfully; such as work and education, as well as social and leisure facilities.
“The support and help the staff are providing has been second to none, we could not have asked for better. We are very appreciative of everything you have done, please keep up the good work.”Parent of service user
We encourage service users to set their own recovery goals and work collaboratively to achieve success. We provide a variety of structured activities, which are led by a wide range of experienced, multi-disciplinary professionals. These include psychiatrists, associate specialists, mental health nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists, an activities co-ordinator and an art therapist.
“Staff respond quickly to problems. I like that there are jobs to do on the unit, and I get a takeaway on a Friday night.”Service user, Cygnet Lodge Brighouse
We also offer a comprehensive programme for dealing with substance misuse, which is led by a specialist substance misuse team, in conjunction with psychologists and occupational therapists. The level of support offered by the team varies depending on each individual person’s needs, but can include 1:1 sessions and group sessions. Service users are also encouraged to attend SMART Recovery Meetings.
Facilities and Activities
As well as a range of individual en-suite bedrooms, Cygnet Lodge Brighouse also has a 3 bedroom flatlet. This offers a further step down to the next level of independence and can help people prepare effectively for discharge, by encouraging their independence but maintaining staff support when needed.
There is an enclosed garden and allotment area, internet café, and a variety of well-used social spaces. From a therapeutic aspect there is a large therapy room where art and music therapy sessions are held along with teaching kitchens where service users are supported to learn cooking skills.
The hospital has close links with local community amenities such as the gym and swimming centre, which service users are encouraged and enabled to attend.
- Since the service opened in 2006 89% of discharged service users have had a reduction in their HONOS scores
- Our proposed care package lasts between 6 months to 2 years with our average length of stay currently being 20.8 months
- Over the last two years 93% of service users have gone to a less secure environment, either in an NHS facility, supported accommodation, flat or home
- We provide on average 45.5 hours of therapy per week per patient
- 90% of service users have had a psychology assessment or psychological treatment
- 83.3% of discharged service users in the last two years have engaged in voluntary work or further education
- 100% of service users assessed with dual diagnosis have engaged with substance misuse work