Cygnet Hospital Taunton, formerly Orchard Portman House Hospital, is a mental health hospital near Taunton, Somerset, providing a range of specialist mental health services.
Services at Taunton
- Starling Unit - Locked admissions for older men with functional mental health issues and challenging behaviour.
- Swift Unit - Locked admissions for older men with organic mental health issues and challenging behaviour.
- Willow Unit - Unit specifically for older women with mental health issues.
- Mulberry Unit - Unit for older men with longer term mental health issues and complex needs.
- Nightingale Unit - Pre-discharge flatlet for older men.
The hospital aims to provide three distinct interventions:
- Assessment –providing urgent admissions from home or residential services during crises.
- Intervention – developing person-centred treatment packages of care to support individuals in mainstream services or in a residential setting.
- Transition – providing a specialist environment for older service users who have been unable to make progress in an acute admission ward, or who have a delayed transfer of care.
We can respond to any of the following scenarios.
- Patients requiring urgent Mental Health Act Assessments.
- Transfer from acute assessment units.
- Patients in a residential setting where the placement has broken down as a result of challenging behaviour.
- Referrals by psychiatric liaison services in general hospitals where local services are unable to accommodate the patient.
- Patients who are at home and needing an inpatient bed urgently.
Our philosophy at Cygnet Hospital Taunton is to always do our very best for our service users and their loved ones. In so doing we have brought together a team of professionals that are passionate and committed to what they do, ensuring that we are up to date with current thinking, and exploring ways in which to implement best practice.
Our aims and objectives are about caring together. We are committed to the Care Programme Approach (CPA), a nationally recognised system that provides an organisational method to ensuring that our service users receive the necessary care and treatment; this involves having a person centred care plan, regular review meetings and contact with the patient’s Care Coordinator. We also recognise how important family can be to this process and their involvement is encouraged.
Cygnet Hospital Taunton is a placement provider for Mental Health Student Nurses from the University of West of England (UWE) Bristol.